Assault Procedure

The following is the procedure that MUST be followed in the event of an assault on a referee:


If the game is in progress, the referee IMMEDIATELY terminates the contest. Under NO circumstances is the game to be completed.

If a person with a pass (coach/player/trainer) was involved, and the referee can safely do so, display the red card. Again, if safety permits, after retaining the offender(s) card(s), the referee may return the others unless local rules require the referee to retain all passes. (Using an intermediary is a good method to avoid any further problems). However, even if the referee cannot display the red card or retain the passes, a Supplementary Game Report still is to be submitted detailing the assault and the misconduct (dismissal/send- off).


If contact was of a nature that the crime was possibly committed (physical assault; i.e. being struck, bumped, pushed or spat upon), the referee is to contact local law enforcement immediately and fill out a formal complaint at the venue. This way, any witnesses who can support the referee’s story will be on record with the police as well.

As soon as possible (preferably the same day) the referee is to contact the president of your local referee association, the State Referee Administrator (Klaus Mueller: phone:516-503-6777; Email:, the State Youth Referee Administrator (John Sengelaub; phone: 516-993-6184; Email:, and the Eastern New York State Association President (Adult game: Sal Rapaglia phone: 917-371-5188; Email: – Youth game: Richard Christiano phone: 516-766-0849; Email: Contact should preferably be by phone.


Fill out a USSF Referee Game and Supplemental Report and submit to the proper State governing body (ENYYSA, ENYSASA) for the match. Be clear and complete, but calm and unemotional. Make NO recommendations or suggestions as to what you feel should be done. Simply state the facts. Be sure to send copies to all three individuals listed above.


Await contact by either the SRA or the State office about further proceedings. Be sure to proceed with any charges with local law enforcement.

Please note: these are ENY State requirements and must be followed!